Episode 3: Why Core Values and Core Beliefs Beat S.M.A.R.T. Goals
Find & Follow Us Wherever You Listen To Podcasts
So many women come to coaching because they have a dream for their life and their work but they’re then surprised to learn that that’s NOT EVER where we start.
S.M.A.R.T. goals presuppose that all we need is to know WHAT TO DO. But where most people stumble is in the initiation or consistent execution, eventually reverting back to the habit they were trying to kick.
That’s because this ‘thing’ of changing our deeply rooted habits, thoughts and perceptions is an INSIDE FIRST, OUTSIDE SECOND job so any coaching modality that goes straight to S.M.A.R.T. goals is probably not going to have long-lasting results.
This episode is a sample of part of the Therapeutic Coaching process that I journey through with clients. Here I’m going to introduce you to the inner work that creates the foundation for achieving your outside goals.
We’ll start with tapping into your INFINITE POT OF GOLD so you can root out unhelpful core beliefs that hold you back. I’m also sharing the exact grounding exercise that’s the FIRST STEP for doing anything and everything in your life that you want to do well. Then we’re going to go through the key questions you need to ask yourself before diving into the work on building your dreams.
When you’re ready, grab your pen and paper and head somewhere quiet. Let’s get into it!
Highlights from the episode
- What my soul-centred, rooted-in-science process looks like
- Why starting with S.M.A.R.T. goals is probably a bad idea
- How you can find the unhelpful core beliefs holding you back
- What compassionate inquiry looks like in action
- Where the concept of S.M.A.R.T. goals was developed
- The clash between corporate-based S.M.A.R.T. goals and your woman essence
- The POTENT SURGE of feminine energy created at Midlife
- Why your core values must be at the heart of any business you create
- The actual grounding exercise I use with my clients as a critical first step
- Key questions to help you start the process of understanding who you are and what you want
- My seven core values
- Where the real work lies
- Why I’m so passionate about Midlife Transition Coaching®
Resources mentioned in the episode
- Core Values Before S.M.A.R.T. Goals Worksheet
- My Grounding Meditation
- Brene Brown’s List of Core Values
References for this episode
- Doran, G. T. (1981). “There’s a S.M.A.R.T. Way to Write Management’s Goals and Objectives”, Management Review, Vol. 70, Issue 11, pp. 35-36.